Mass Communication and the World Wide Web


Before the World Wide Web, the world of communication was only accessible through television, radio, and newspaper. To receive any information on current events you had to tune in at a certain time or make sure to grab the morning newspaper, now-a-days, everything you need to know is at the touch of your fingers.

The World Wide Web has changed the world of mass communications by quite literally building the term “mass communication”. Mass Media can be defined as the “process in which a person, group of people, or an organization sends a message through a channel of communication to a large group of anonymous and heterogeneous people and organizations.”




Mass Communication has been molded and shaped through the use of technology. The audience  can turn
to social media, blogs, websites, or podcasts to get all of the latest news and updates.

Because Mass Media is available to basically anyone with internet access, it also gives the opportunity for anyone to become the creator and even producer of content. This means that main stream news does not have to come from anyone that is a known journalist or content creator. For example, I started this blog this year and some of the stories I post are related to gun control, women’s pay wage, political standpoints, and biased opinions on technology. Anyone reading this blog could see that I am not a professional however, they could still promote my content.

The World Wide Web has also influenced how fast we receive our information. We can receive information about what is happening seconds after and even live during the action. The Notre Dame fire is a great example of this. There were tweets being sent out as soon as the historic building caught fire and the entire world knew about this tragic incident in seconds.

The World Wide Web is changing the way we send and receive any information and ultimately affecting how Mass Media is connecting the communication world around us. It is changing quickly and constantly allowing users and audiences all over the world a more interactive way to participate in the trends of what is known as mass media.

How I blogged

This year in Media Law Literacy I picked up blogging weekly. It was challenging at times but also was a
great way for me to practice writing skills while also writing about things that I found interesting. To me,
blogging is a more personal connection or bias towards a topic or idea whereas journalism is factual based.
For me it was hard at first to give my personal opinion instead of a factual based opinion. I have my own
personal blog where I write about personal stories and experiences but using this educational blog as a
way to give my own personal feelings towards important current events or reporting on major news stories
was very different and challenging at times.

I found many aspects of this blog enjoyable. I was able to take personal time out of my day and sit with my computer and write about something I was genuinely interested in. I was also able to research stories that were new and unheard of to me and some of my classmates. I reported on technology that is changing the world around us and how it may affect the journalism world. I also put a lot more thought into free speech and my rights as a personal writer. Overall, I really enjoyed the blogging experiment.
https://study.com/academy/lesson/what-is-mass-communication-definition-theories-quiz.html

Comments